Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Lowell's "Cult of Personality"

Apparently, JMac is ticked off that I likened his Plan of Nothing to this -
JMac Plan
He is on WCAP, as I type, ranting on his AM Infomercial.

I've stated repeatedly, I am open minded regarding the decision to locate the Lowell High School. I should note, the fact that I am willing to consider the South Common has put me at odds with several of my political pals. So be it. The difference between me and JMac is that I am not paid to rule out the Downtown location. My opinion belongs to me, not the highest bidder.

What's interesting about JMac's vaporous tirade, he is citing the work of Sal Lupoli in Lawrence. That makes sense, as this is all that JMac knows. And listening, it is clear that JMac worships Lupoli.

Here is the gist of JMac's pushback to my "City of Oz" jab.

His proof that something will work at the corner of Arcand & Fr. Morissette is


No, really!

In JMac's reality, if you believe in the vision of luminaries like Lupoli, to the degree of cultish blindness, anything is possible. He goes on to cite how Lupoli was confronted with 'negativity' when trying to develop the parcels that became Riverwalk. But, Lupoli risked everything to push the project to completion and success. Kudos!

Bear in mind, according to JMac, eminent domain played a large part, as did government subsidies. He also noted that the parcel was fallow, if not barren. So, in JMac's myopic perspective, downtown Lowell is the same as desolate mill shells. And, if we only capitulate our free will and choice to be fitted with nose rings, a great man can lead us to brighter days.

Call me skeptical.

The High School, where it sits, is NOT fallow and barren. It is Alive, Unique, and some will say ... Inspiring. M'eh. I'm not convinced that staying put is the best way forward. But, listening to JMac hardly unconvinces me. His incantation of the 'Lawrence model' seems like an ill fit. Plus, Lowell is not as desperate and confused as Lawrence was when Lupoli embarked. Lowell is splintered in several ways. But, for the most part, we have our shit in one bag.

So, I can easily slap down the majority of JMac's offerings, based on the reality that:
- Comparison to the two sites, barren Lawrence & DT Lowell, is absurd on multiple levels. Well, they are both in Massachusetts.
- Lowell will not easily turn into a gaggle of cheerleaders, enlisting in a 'Cult of Personality.' As talented as Sal Lupoli is, and I concede his skills are above average, even Paul Tsongas did not reign without challenges in Lowell. We don't roll over, here.
- Wishing an economic condition that would make such a venture work, does not make it so. If we had some data, like a "Highest and Best Use" analysis, we could then forecast to some degree. JMac does not offer that, unless it is paid for by Lowell's taxpayers. He is liberal with our money. On April 7th (Link), I proposed contracting a "HBU Analyisis." Though, I'm inclined to put the onus on the developer that is convinced that their vision will lead us to economic nirvana.

As the infomercial closed, this morning, Corey Belanger joined in. For the first time, we got a glimpse of a vision for the City of Oz. They are proposing the Lowell High School be moved to put in a hotel with a sundry of retail shops.

A hotel in the DT, close to the Tsongas Arena? Oh, like this? (Link):


Thank our lucky starts we got JMac and his sidekick, C.Belanger, to think outside the box on our behalf.

Look, I don't give a rat fuck's ass about Jim Cook and the Lowell Plan, but at least these folks can put something on the table for Lowell to mull over. Hell, they put it on Youtube:

The bottom line, imho, I think like most folks. We are open to ideas. Ideas with merit. What we are not willing to do is give credence to amateurs with a hero fetish.

As Dick Howe said (Link), show us the fucking beef!
Maybe, I embellished a wee bit. ;v)

Sweet nothings, puked out on airwaves by shills for masked men with masked plans is NOT what Lowell will guzzle down, like so much Kool Aid.

1 comment:

C R Krieger said...

I'm with Frank, you have to have "high apple pie in the sky hopes".  On the other hand, you have to have a vision.  I am not so keen on the High School down town as I don't see how it makes a new positive economic move.  What additional does it bring, what in addition to what it brings already?  Is the new high school Down Town just status quo ante?

Contra John McDonough, I think Middlesex College brings to Down Town folks with more flexible schedules and disposable income.  I don't think we should be asking it to move.

Is Down Town really about restaurants?  Will someone say that?

Regards  —  Cliff